Scientific Name – Peltogyne spp.
Description and Common Uses: Inlays/accent pieces, flooring, furniture, boatbuilding, heavy construction, and a variety of special wood items. This wood is sometimes called Amaranth, this colourful Latin American hardwood is tremendously popular for furniture and other designs that call for a unique splash of colour. In addition to its coloration, Purple heart has excellent strength properties, and can be used in applications where strength is important—a wood for both form and function.
- Density at 12% (kg / m3): 1057 kg
- Compressive strength: 80Mpa
- Bending strength: 141Mpa
- Modulus of elasticity: 21250 Mpa
- Radial Cure: 4.4%
- Tangential Cure: 6.7%
- Hardness of Janka Scale: 1860
- Volume Dimming: 10.6%
- TS / RS ratio: 1.5
- Fat Saturation Point: 23%
- Tree height: 30 – 50 m
- Strain diameter: 1 – 1.5 m
- Acousticity of wood for musical purposes: 168.4 measured 2890Hz